The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the professional association of individuals responsible for generating philanthropic support for a wide variety of nonprofit, charitable organizations.
The Association of Fundraising Professionals:
- Promotes consistent and high standards of professional practice to ensure donor trust and guard against abuses that can occur in the fundraising process.
- Requires members to comply with a Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice (known as the “Code”) that is designed to provide concrete guidelines for fundraising professionals in philanthropic organizations. The Code is underscored with an enforcement process managed by the AFP Ethics Committee.
- Was instrumental in creating and maintaining the Donor Bill of Rights, a document that outlines what donors have the right to expect from charitable organizations to which they contribute.
- Founded and participates in a partnership certification program through Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), International. The CFRE credential, held by more than 3,000 fundraising professionals, verifies experience and knowledge of fundraising and philanthropy. AFP also provides the Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive (ACFRE) credential for senior professionals.
- Provides educational programs about fundraising, including the annual International Conference on Fundraising; the Hemispheric Congress on Fundraising in Latin America; Chapter Leadership Workshops; First Course in Fundraising; CFRE Review Course (formerly known as the Survey Course); and AFP Audio Conferences.
- Provides information about philanthropy through its Fundraising Resource Center, which houses a comprehensive collection of books, periodicals, speeches and audio/visual materials on fundraising and the nonprofit sector.
- Encourages research on fundraising and philanthropy, including the annual State of Fundraising Survey, the sector’s first look at how organizations fared in their fundraising each year, as well as occasional surveys such as the 9/11 Impact Survey and the 2005 Hurricane Relief Impact Survey, which provide a snapshot of charitable giving and fundraising after important world events.
- Supports legislation and regulations to encourage philanthropic giving and ethical fundraising, including the Charity Aid, Recovery and Empowerment (CARE) Act.
- Publishes a bi-monthly magazine, Advancing Philanthropy, which features current issues in philanthropy, and a book series that covers topics related to fundraising and charitable giving.
- Raises public awareness and interest in philanthropy and charitable giving through programs such as National Philanthropy Day®, Youth in Philanthropy and the AFP Awards for Philanthropy.
About the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Canada
The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Canada was created in 1998 to help fulfill the mission of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), previously the National Society of Fund Raising Professionals: Advancing philanthropy through education, advocacy and training in Canada.
For more information on AFP Foundation for Philanthropy Canada Please visit their website HERE