Message from the Governor General
The Association of Fundraising Professionals’ (AFP) annual award program recognizes outstanding achievements by individual, foundation and corporate philanthropists and fundraising volunteers. In professional fundraising, such individuals and organizations form a vital partnership with charities and the nonprofit sector to ensure that the needs of all citizens are met.
Please join your local AFP Chapter in celebrating our community’s philanthropic spirit on National Philanthropy Day by submitting a nomination(s) and attending the AFP Canada South Chapter’s:
The 17th Annual AFP National Philanthropy Day (NPD) Awards Ceremony
Date: Wednesday November 14, 2018
Location: Ambassador Golf Club (1025 Sprucewood Ave, Windsor)
8:00 am: Registration/Networking
8:30 am: Breakfast & Award Ceremony
Click HERE to purchase event tickets
The following award categories are open for nominations:
- Outstanding Philanthropist – Honouring an individual, family or family foundation who has demonstrated outstanding civic and philanthropic leadership through a proven record of exceptional generosity and financial support.
- Spirit of Philanthropy – Honouring a private foundation, special-purpose philanthropic group or group of individuals who has demonstrated outstanding commitment in philanthropy and local community involvement.
- Outstanding Fundraising Volunteer – Honouring an individual or family who demonstrates outstanding skills in coordinating and motivating groups of volunteers for fundraising projects for local not for profit organizations.
- Outstanding Business or Corporation – Honouring a business or corporation who demonstrates outstanding commitment towards philanthropy and community involvement (may include a portion of in-kind support).
- Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy – Honouring an individual ages 5-25, who demonstrate outstanding commitment to the community.
- Outstanding Fundraising Executive Professional – Recognizing a fundraising executive whose actions and leadership exemplify ethical and effective professional practice and whose performance has enhanced the financial resources and recognition of the organization(s) for which he/she works.
NPD National Video 2014
Philanthropy is “the love of humankind,” and National Philanthropy Day® (NPD)-November 15-is the day that thousands of people around the world come together to both (1) put that word into action and (2) recognize the change that word has brought to our communities.
NPD is a celebration of philanthropy-giving, volunteering and charitable engagement-that highlights the accomplishments, large and small, that philanthropy-and all those involved in the philanthropic process-makes to our society and our world.
National Philanthropy Day® is both an official day and a grassroots movement. Every year, since 1986 when President Ronald Reagan first proclaimed November 15th as National Philanthropy Day®, communities across the globe have celebrated by hosting events to recognize activities of donors, volunteers, foundations, leaders, corporations, and others engaged in philanthropy.
In 2012, the nation of Canada officially recognized NPD permanently, setting a new model for other countries to emulate. But NPD is far from just a top-down idea full of formal events. NPD is also a grassroots movement to increase public interest and awareness of the importance of philanthropy, as well as knowledge on giving, volunteering and engagement at the charitable level so people can practice EFFECTIVE philanthropy.
While many people show interest in giving or getting involved, they often need a little reminder about needs and to be inspired by goals and dreams. NPD spurs action, by not only providing tips and guidance, but ways to connect with causes and each other-so people can be inspired by what others are doing and create their own ideas for philanthropic engagement.